Kroměříž (Czech pronunciation: [ˈkromɲɛr̝iːʃ]; German: Kremsier, Polish: Kromieryż) is a Moravian town in the Zlín Region of the Czech Republic.
The town’s main landmark is the Baroque Kroměříž Bishop’s Palace, where some scenes from Amadeus and Immortal Beloved were filmed. The Gardens and Castle at Kroměříž were added to the list of World Heritage Sites in 1998.
The city’s National Museum is home to The Flaying of Marsyas, a late painting by Titian.
The settlement, inhabited by Slavs since at least the 7th century, was founded in 1260 by Bruno von Schauenburg (de), bishop of Olomouc. Bruno chose Kroměříž to become his see and he also made his castle the centre of his dominion, which consisted of more than 60 vassals from all over Moravia.
Kroměříž is referred to as a market village in a document by Přemysl Otakar II from 1256, but by 1266 it was already referred to as a town. Bruno established what was to become the famous Archbishop’s Palace.
The town was badly damaged in the Thirty Years’ War, was plundered twice by Swedish troops (1643 and 1645), and after this the Black Death took its toll on the population. Bishop Karl II von Liechtenstein-Kastelkorn rebuilt the city and the palace after that war. The Constitutive Imperial Congress sat in Kroměříž in 1848.